11.09.2012

TANNER AT THE MFAH

Got to see this bad boy at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, yesterday.  I've always loved this painting, so I was very excited for the chance to see it in person.  I had to fight off school children to get a close look, but fortunately I'm bigger than they are so that wasn't too hard to do (I'm kidding; I was just that rude person who walked in front of the group to get a closer look because I was too impatient to wait for them to leave.  You'd think my docent days would have taught me better etiquette than that).  The painting was much larger than I had expected, which was wonderful, and the color is so much better in real life than I've seen in any reproduction of this image.  Obviously, most artwork is far superior in person than it is in a reproduction.  Now if only I could get my students to realize that...

Henry Ossawa Tanner, The Annunciation, 1898, oil on canvas, Philadelphia Museum of Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment