2.01.2013

THE EVENT OF A THREAD



I would have loved to have seen Ann Hamilton's the event of a thread at The Armory, but alas, I am no where near New York, so I must enjoy it after the fact through this beautiful video shot by Paul Octavious.  

"the event of a thread is made of many crossings of the near at hand and the far away: it is a body crossing space, is a writer’s hand crossing a sheet of paper, is a voice crossing a room in a paper bag, is a reader crossing with a page and with another reader, is listening crossing with speaking, is an inscription crossing a transmission, is a stylus crossing a groove, is a song crossing species, is the weightlessness of suspension crossing the calling of bell or bellows, is touch being touched in return. It is a flock of birds and a field of swings in motion. It is a particular point in space at an instant of time.
. . . If on a swing, we are alone, we are together in a field. This condition of the social is the event of a thread. Our crossings with its motions, sounds, and textures is its weaving; is a social act."
-Ann Hamilton

Oh, and Ann Hamilton is a fellow Ohioan, born about 20 minutes from where I grew up. And she teaches at my undergrad.  So, yeah, as if I didn't have enough reason to love her work anyway.

via booooooom

3 comments:

  1. Great post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.;)
    Lovely greets Nessa
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete